- A way for clients to find you: Our online member Referral Service of translators and interpreters is searched ~ 100 times per day, on average.
- Stay in touch: There are four annual general meetings, multiple workshops, local ATA Certification Exam sittings, and many networking events throughout the Bay Area.
- Keep up-to-date: Members receive our journal Translorial with articles and information about our industry, our work, and NCTA members and activities.
- Come together: The NCTA ethics committee can help mediate between translators and clients in the case of disputes.
- Network: Members are listed in the NCTA Directory of Translators and Interpreters, and each member receives an updated copy once per year.
- Spread the word about your company: Corporate members are listed on the corporate and institutional members page on this website, in addition to receiving Translorial. Callers to the NCTA line will be referred to our corporate members for large/multi-language projects.
Individual or corporate/institutional members of NCTA enjoy all the advantages mentioned above as well as the member rate for workshops. Members stay informed with Translorial and NCTA event notices. Members receive the NCTA Directory of Translators and Interpreters and A Practical Guide for Translators, and can participate in members-only listservs for constant communication. Corporate members are listed, with their own company profile, in the membership directory and on the NCTA website; see the Find an Agency tab on our home page.
In addition to these benefits, individual members can also apply for inclusion in the Online and Telephone Referral Service, designed to promote the services of our professionally qualified members. The Referral Service provides a way for new clients to find you and is an excellent marketing tool. See the Find a Linguist tab on the home page.
Membership application and renewal forms can be downloaded directly from our site. If you would like more information, please see the Contact Us information at the bottom of this page. To meet our board members, see the NCTA board page.
Individuals: $60 to join.
New individual members pay $60 to join, then $50 per year to renew. Outside North America, annual dues are $85 to join, $75 to renew if you opt to receive Translorial by postal mail. If you choose electronic delivery of Translorial, the regular dues rates apply.
Corporations & Institutions: $100
The Northern California Translators Association (NCTA) was founded in 1978 to assist translators and interpreters with the challenges they meet in their profession. NCTA has been serving the T&I community since then through the active participation of its members.
NCTA addresses the needs and concerns of professional translators and interpreters, provides guidance to those entering the field, and furthers the profession in terms of standards and public recognition. A professional association of translators and interpreters, NCTA has become a pillar of the foreign language industry in California.
With a membership approaching 600 individuals, businesses and institutions, NCTA not only serves the Northern California area but has members throughout North America and as far away as Germany, Brazil and Japan.